Health & Safety - do you have it covered?
May 2, 2019
In today’s business world, Health & Safety is – quite rightly – a hot topic.
Keeping employees safe in the work environment and having the correct procedures and protocols in place to manage a situation if something happens are crucial to running a successful business.
However, many companies – particularly SMEs, simply don’t have the resource to fulfil these requirements. This leaves them at risk to substantial fines and interruption to the business should something happen resulting in and HSE investigation.
Take a look at the following case study which outlines what is a very common situation:
- A manufacturing company operating in the engineering sector with approximately 60 employees.
- There was no formal Health & Safety structure in place with only some out of date template policies and risk assessments used.
- The company had no external H&S support.
An employee had and arm amputated following an accident involving machinery in the plant (RIDDOR accident).
HSE investigated which resulted in:
- Fee for intervention at a cost of £25,000 to the business (re-imbursement of the HSE fees)
- Improvement notices issued to the company due to:
- NO H&S policies being in place
- H&S Risk Assessments out of date
As well as suffering heavy financial penalties/losses, the company also incurred substantial interruption to their businesses in lost production / temporary closure / management time spent in dealing with the incident.
How FOCUS can help
We have partnered with Xact to deliver Health & Safety, Human Resources and Employment Law services, providing you with a complete business solution.
Using the case study above, Xact would have completed all the risk assessments and put in place the Health & Safety policies, thus preventing the company being left open to the risk of punishment.
Xact Health & Safety External Competent Service
Xact offer a fixed fee Health & Safety Service which provides comprehensive support to the business owner and responsible person(s) in the achievement of a best practice and compliant regime for the company.
Xact will act as your health & safety external competent person and will:
- All health & safety policies and procedures.
- All health & safety risk assessments in conjunction with the Responsible Person.
- Provide access to the Responsible Person to our E-Learning system managing Health & Safety course.
- Provide the advice needed to comply, including control measures and action plans.
- Conduct regular audits (off and on site) of progress towards full compliance.
- Attendance at your premises in the event of any serious accident or incident.
- Liaison with local authorities on any issues on inspections.
- An indemnity for costs arising out of a health & safety prosecution.
Who are Xact?
Xact has gained a reputation for producing Industry standard management Systems and detailed risk assessments which are tailored to each client’s business sector.
Xact are an accredited OHSAS 18001 (Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards), ISO 14001 (Environmental Management Standards) and ISO 9001 (Quality Management Standards) business. This means that they have undergone extensive external auditing of their management systems in all of these key areas ensuring the highest possible standards of advice.