FOCUS Oxford Risk Management supporting local gymnastic star
November 30, 2017
Tiegan Trafford – daughter of our very own Michelle Trafford, is a name to look out for.
Tiegan started gymnastics classes at the age of 5. Originally, just a once a week activity for fitness and fun Tiegan attended recreational sessions at Abingdon gymnastics Club. At age 6 Tiegan trialled for the development squad and was accepted, her elite gymnastics journey started then.
Training increased from 4 hours a week gradually and she now, at age 9 trains for 19 hours per week perfecting her skills and routines to compete at county, regional and national level. Tiegan spent the first 2 years of her training developing her skills and working on strength and flexibility before she was old enough to start competing at age 8.
Her achievements so far include:
- March 2016 – Tiegan competed in her first regional competition, taking her first steps on the elite pathway taking & passing her compulsory 5 grading where she finished in 10th position
- June 2016 – Tiegan became the Oxfordshire level 5 champion.
- July 2016 – Tiegan was a member of the Abingdon Gym level 5 team who took silver in the southern region teams event.
- September 2016 – She climbed the ranks from earlier in the year and competed at level 5 where she finished in 2nd position overall & taking the gold medal on floor.
- October 2016 – Tiegan wins the Double Downie competition in Nottingham.
- March 2017 – Tiegan took her first nationally recognised elite grade, compulsory 4. She passed the grade with ease and finished in 7th position, narrowly missing out on qualification for national finals. She also took silver on bars and bronze on floor at the same event.
- June 2017 – Tiegan retains her county title from 2016 and is crowned Oxfordshire level 4 champion.
- September 2017 – Southern region level competition Tiegan finishes in 3rd position and qualifies to be a part of the southern region team that will compete at national finals.
- October 2017 – Tiegan competes in 2 nationally recognised invitational competitions. At the Quatro cup she finishes in first place, taking the gold medal in a big field of over 60 gymnasts. Later in the months she finishes 2nd at the Double Downie competition also taking the gold on bars and floor.
- November 2017 – National Finals. Tiegan has a faultless competition and impresses the national judges. Earning 13.65 on vault, 13.2 on bars, 12.3 on beam and 12.05 on floor, her over score of 51.20 is enough to take the gold and be crowned British Champion at voluntary level 4! All of her scores also contributed to the team silver medal gained by the southern region team!
(podium shot showing other gymnasts here)
An incredible end to a very successful year for Tiegan who now moves on to prepare for 2018 as a level 3 gymnast. This year Tiegan has also had the opportunity to meet some of the stars of gymnastics including Max Whitlock, Ellie & Becky Downie and Georgia-Mae Fenton. She also had the opportunity to train alongside Beth Tweddle. A very exciting talent for the future.